Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Post 8: David and the English club

David was waiting for me when I came out of my acting class today. It was strange and I told him I hoped he hadn't become my stalker. He just laughed at me. He told me that he was just missing the States and was hoping he could speak with someone who would understand. It was almost like he knew that I needed to talk and was especially lonely the past few weeks without Amelia. Besides David I had yet to meet anyone in Taiwan that I could really call a friend. We went walking at the cherry blossom park, that wasn't really it's name but that's what I called it, because the park was full of them and David told me that when they bloomed in the spring they would rain pink snow. I have only been here for three months yet I still can't wait for them, I wonder if I will bloom when they do. I asked David how he came to be in JEM, and what had possessed him to become a musician. He told me that he had never planned it, in fact he hadn't even known he could sing until he got put it in to the band. "It's kind of funny the way things turned out actually. When I was scouted I was 17, and at that time in my life I was having a hard time, because I felt I was living in my two brother's shadows. The eldest is a violinist who was a prodigy, he was always watched by professionals and told he would become one of the best in that field. The other a swimmer training for the qualifying rounds of the Olympics. At the time, I was exploring all kinds of things trying so hard to find something that was mine and not theirs, everyone would say to my parents how proud they must of been and lucky that they had two of three sons who were so successful. I was in a dark place, but I was only in high school so I kept telling myself that I was OK, and pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be the ugly duckling, only I had yet to find a pond to look into. It was at this time that one of the K-pop obsessed girls at my private school in New York took a picture of me and posted it online. I was really freaked out when men in dark suits showed up at my school and told me that this girl had posted my picture online and they told me because of my looks and such, they thought it would be really beneficial for me to come to their company audition. I prepared a song and went, I was really surprised when I pulled second. I hadn't ever known that I could sing like that. The company offered me a contract to Korea, and the rest is history. The only thing is that I really miss the U.S and it was hard to adjust. But once I did I was fine, and I even came to love singing and it's now my passion. I guess that's why I'm really happy for you Faye, that you can find your passion and pursue it." The thing about it is, acting was never my passion. I told him that. What does it mean to have a passion? Is it just something that you want to do? I don't know maybe if I find out, maybe if I find my passion I'll truly feel like I belong, like David. I'm only here to find my mother, to try and find peace so I can return to my life, the way it was before. But maybe it wouldn't be so bad to find out what it feels like to have a "passion" well, Wish me Luck!

~Faye

No comments:

Post a Comment