Thursday, October 24, 2013

Post 10: Audition!!! And Cynthia

So good news, I went to my very first audition today, President Han said that this part was made for me... I was confused, because I didn't think he knew that much about me, but I was wrong, I feel that maybe he knows everything. I'll explain, so I was told about the audition about a week ago maybe? and was told to prepare a monologue, which I did. I performed one about this girl who has lost her memory and how she is confused by these feelings, as if despite the loss of memories she has every feeling attached to those missing memories etched into her chest.  After the monologue I was asked to cold-read the part of Li Hua, a girl whose over shadowed by her older sister. She never noticed how much her mother adored her sister and put her sister first, that is until her father, who had always doted on Li Hua, passed away. After the death of the father, the mother can no longer care for the two sisters as well, and so she sends Lu Hua off to a relative, who in turn sends her off to an orphanage. Lu Hua grows up feeling as if she was always unwanted, Unsatisfied with life in the U.S Li Hua returns to Taiwan with blessing from her adoptive parents. She returns to find that her mother has salvaged her father's conglomerate food company and along with her older sister is living the life of the wealthy. Li Hua was hurt to find out that her mother had never sent for her either. Li Hua makes a resolution to make her mother proud. Also at this time she ends up going in her sister's place to a marriage meeting and falls in love with the man, although Li Hua, her sister and the man, are all unaware of the fact that the man and Li Hua's sister both refuse to continue the marriage meetings because their "lost loves" are both one and the same. Li Hua discovers this and has conflicted feelings about keeping it to herself in an attempt to have something for her own. The part I got was the part when Li Hua returns to Taiwan and finds out about her mother's wealth, when she confronts her mother, her mother turns and leaves reminding Li Hua of the time when she was abandoned. President Han was right, it was as if this character was made for me, the memory of being abandoned, and returning to try and figure out the why. While I cold-read the part, I could feel the memories of my own abandonment surface for the first time in about 10 years, I even shed tears, I felt as if this character was me. I'm not sure if I got the role, but after the audition I felt on top of the world. I LOVED every moment of performing both pieces, and I can't wait to be able to someday play a whole character and their story from beginning to end. I also met another English speaker, I'm not so sure she would join the "English club" David and I created though. To be completely honest she kind of scares me, I mean I walked in to audition, and she was auditioning for Li Hua as well, she's half British and half Taiwanese. She was really serious and doesn't smile at all she spent the majority of the time during the waiting period glaring at EVERYONE. How the heck did I end up finding out she spoke English? well  I tripped over her foot, flew a ways and like David I started muttering in English... I apologized in mandarin, but she responded with a melodious, British, "it's ok". She also noticed that I had been translating my cold-read piece in to English in an attempt to better understand it in my first language. She seemed cold, but she wasn't mean, so that means it's good right? I hope I do well on this audition, after all it is the supporting lead, which means I get a full contract! but even if Cynthia (that's the girl's name) it, I would be happy. Whelp, Wish me Luck!

~Faye

No comments:

Post a Comment